Chicken Coop big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GSDBESTK9, Apr 10, 2012.

1. GSDBESTK9

GSDBESTK9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    In your opinion, is this chicken coop big enough for 6 Red Sex Links? We are going to build a big run ourselves...
    [​IMG]

2. GSDBESTK9

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    It as 6 nesting boxes all together...

[​IMG]

3. GSDBESTK9

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    No one?? [​IMG]

4. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I think you'll find that 6 full-size birds will be crowded in a coop of that size.

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I would be tempted to take out 3 of the nesting boxes and have that little bit of extra space for the coop itself. There's no way you'd need 6 nesting boxes for only 6 hens. You only "need" one or two for 6 hens. I've found that you can go smaller on coop space AS LONG AS you go bigger on run space. Except for roosting at night, chickens generally don't spend much time in the coop - and definitely not all at the same time. So you can probably house 6 okay in it as long as you make them a nice big run.

I've never heard anyone complain about making the coop and/or run too big - but a lot of people regret making them too small.

6. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I am a total newbie when it comes to coops, but I can tell you that one is smaller than the one I am planning to house four cochin bantams.

7. GSDBESTK9

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    Thank you everyone! We are going to go look at this one tomorrow...
    [​IMG]

8. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Good luck! Would love to know what that one looks like on the inside if you take pics.

9. chicksandkids

chicksandkids Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    We just built a coop inside our shed for our chicks. We have 12 in there now, but I just bought 6 Australorps that will join them next month. It's almost 4' x 11.5' long. We'll have 8 nesting boxes. They'll also have a 13'x8.5' run that they'll have access to via a doggie door. I don't think I'd try to fit 6 birds in that first coop. The second seems to have more "head" room at the very least, and seems like it'll have a lot more floor space too, so they can fly and run a bit, and it'll be easier on you to clean, which you will appreciate quickly.

10. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Stand inside your coop and visualize all your full grown birds in there. If you can see yourself walking across without having to step over a bird, your golden. If you cant see your birds walking around without bumping into each other, that's a no go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by