Chicken coop build at the White House

Gwhite3678

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
New Hampshire
Just wanted a place to document our progress in building our coop. It’s going to be 8x12 with a run approx 200ft. It’s located at the beginning of the wooded space on our property to keep them away from my hungry dogs and so they have plenty of space to tear up that isn’t my garden. There should be lots of bugs and things for them to forage.
Starting with 10 chicks.
I’ve been getting lots of tips and ideas from this site, my husband has been getting really into the build and has been fun to work on together!
6A32F72B-9BAE-44A7-8434-325DA52549CF.jpeg
A83A2C29-3F86-4309-A6E4-08393BFFD5E2.jpeg
9B0673D6-7527-408D-BCD3-777A7EDBC421.jpeg
339D5F97-769C-4D5B-ADD8-170842B123F5.jpeg

Sounds nice and roomy!

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially in housing.

If you put your general location into your profile it will be easier for people to give you targeted advice.

It's good to see height and window-framing up high for top-level vents. AirFLOW is critical for chickens' good health in all climates.

Airflow Crayon.png

I think I'd keep that structure for myself - that's a good looking build, slap something on the side for my birds! ;)

And then I'd frame it straight to the ground and use deep litter for the floor. The chickens don't care if the ground is uneven. Frame it with double doors so the whole thing can be opened up and raked or shovelled out once a year. (or the doors fixed in place to expand the coop in future years).

Seriously. Good clean build there.

Sounds nice and roomy!

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially in housing.

If you put your general location into your profile it will be easier for people to give you targeted advice.

It's good to see height and window-framing up high for top-level vents. AirFLOW is critical for chickens' good health in all climates.

View attachment 3075144
We are in New Hampshire. I know he’s doing a ridge vent and has these other vents to put in I’m not sure what they are called though. I’m def not the builder of the family lol

We are in New Hampshire. I know he’s doing a ridge vent and has these other vents to put in I’m not sure what they are called though. I’m def not the builder of the family lol

If he's not absolutely set on his design at the moment he should look into a Monitor Roof -- better than a ridge vent because it doesn't easily get blocked by snow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

Here's a great article on cold-weather chicken keeping if you haven't already seen it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

I know he’s doing a ridge vent and has these other vents to put in I’m not sure what they are called though.
Open soffits with a good fascia works well in your climate.

If he's not absolutely set on his design at the moment he should look into a Monitor Roof
Not sure a monitor roof would be the best for the OP's climate.

We are in New Hampshire.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1650751862426.png

Back
Top Bottom