Chicken coop design & construction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ShawnAJamessr, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ShawnAJamessr

ShawnAJamessr New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    Hurst, Texas
    [​IMG]Designed & built by: Shawn A. James Sr.d.b.a. ; Jamesgang 5 Hurst, Texas

First of all,,,,I do not have any chickens. .
    I am, well, rather creative.
    I believe I am a person who likes the chance to create & build unique items when given the opportunity.
    I have a client who knows of my abilities and requested that I research, design & build a chicken coop.
    It was overwhelming when I started my research. She also wants to incorporate a roof-top garden and plenty of planters.
    She loves the barn style coops with lots of off-set windows and country appearance.
    [​IMG]
    I created different sketches & dreamed up many different ideas.
    However, I have never raised chickens. ...
    finally, she drove me around to different places that are raising chickens. ..that changed my whole perspective!
    All previous ideas, designs & thoughts had to be reconsidered. .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. ShawnAJamessr

ShawnAJamessr New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    Hurst, Texas
    Ultimately, I created this idea on paper and started building it October 30, 2014. [​IMG]

3. ShawnAJamessr

ShawnAJamessr New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    Hurst, Texas
    This is Dallas. Temperatures do not normally get too hot or too cold. So I told... Regardless, based on research, I wanted to make certain chickens were protected from freezing winds in the winter months and likewise I wanted to minimize situations of causing the birds to get too in the summer inside a building.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I incorporated clear-story windows
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    to prevent heat build-up & also ground level ventilation / screened openings below all windows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    However, I was very aware this could be a negative situation in the winter months. So I designed operable vertical doors for each ground level opening. This was easy, I did not want the building to possibly fail / twist in severe winds and possibly fall over.
    I would rather over engineer the structural design versus create future problems.
    [​IMG]
    I thought about pre-built trusses using angled design. Ultimately, I changed the framing and created a scissor / Truss design in the walls.
    By the way, no nails! Every bit of the framing is screwed together.[​IMG]

4. ShawnAJamessr

ShawnAJamessr New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    Hurst, Texas
    Pictures of X frame design.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    picture of the X frame design in the walls.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

8. ShawnAJamessr

ShawnAJamessr New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    Hurst, Texas
    Not sure where you are directing me to go?

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Very nice coop!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas, not too far from where you are (Blue Ridge for her, Greenville for me). You coop desgn is beautiful and I agree with Turkenstein25 that you should post it on our Coop and Run Design and Construction section. Just click on https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance and it will take you there. Cheers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by