Chicken coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 7clucks, Feb 27, 2015.

1. 7clucks

7clucks New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    Gap,PA
    I'am wanting to construct a new coop with a large fenced in area. What I'am thinking is having the coop/nesting area built in a space that is under a sunroom addition to the house that would extend out into the yard with a large fenced run area. I would construct nesting boxes that are accessible from outside the coop. Any thoughts and or ideas on weather this is a something that would work is greatly appreciated as I'am new at this and looking for any input. TIA. 7clucks

2. countrygirl86

countrygirl86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2014
    It sounds like it would working depending on how big the space is under the sunroom. You want to be sure that you have adequate space inside the coop for the chickens. 4 square feet per chicken is recommended. You should also consider how easy it will be able to clean inside the coop. My girls don't always lay their eggs in the nest boxes so sometimes I have to go on a scavenger hunt. Take a look through the coop section here for some ideas. Good luck!

3. 7clucks

7clucks New Egg

Feb 27, 2015
    Gap,PA
    Countrygirl86 thanks for your response on this. As for the area under the sun porch I'am thinking it's going to be about a 6x8 area plus are large fenced in run area.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

sounds good! [​IMG]

do consider how easy it will be to access when there is lots of snow on the ground, and if the snow berm or torrential down pour will get you right in the face when you are collecting the eggs.

I hate having to climb snow berms mid-winter... so plan for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by