Chicken Coop Designs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by drinnenm, Feb 18, 2014.

1. drinnenm

drinnenm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    I'm not criticizing any ones coop design but I have notice a LOT of coop designs that are just pretty and not practical. Like big open area in the coop wall with no door or window to be able to shut it up for the night. I've seen some that look like just stick huts, how do you protect your birds from predators at night. Don't be fooled in thinking that you have a run area that is predator proof chances are they will eventually get in there and when they do they need not to be able to get to your chickens. When Chickens roost at night they are at the mercy of what ever roams around and can get to them. They are almost in a comatose state and can do nothing to defend themselves, not that they could fight off a raccoon, fox or coyote but they can't even run or fly away at night.....so for goodness sake build them a coop that protects them and keeps them closed off from the outside at night! b.t.y. I have seen a lot of pretty and practical coops too :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know you aren't talking about mine, cause I've never posted a pic, but I have no door, just an opening in the wall of the coop to the run so the birds can come and go as they please. No, my run isn't especially predator proof, but I rely on my farmdog to patrol my property and deter, warn me, or kill predators. Haven't lost a bird to a predator *besides one of our young, unsupervised dogs--totally my fault* in a good 5-6 years.

So, blanket statements aren't always applicable. You have to know different folks' circumstances.

Then again, I do totally agree on too many coops that are too small to be practical. Plus, you can never believe the manufacturer's recommended number of hens, they usually give each bird 1-2 square feet each, and at that density you're going to have behavioral issues sooner or later.

3. drinnenm

drinnenm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    I'm glad you do have other sources of protecting your flock, and you are correct that's the part I don't see, thank you!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You'll see ALOT of that here...accept it or you'll drive yourself nuts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by