Chicken coop floor in MN coop - DLM with raised? Wood? Dirt? What's best for snowy climates? Need de

chickypunky

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 22, 2012
Hello,

I have chicks arriving soon (my first, 3 total) and am planning to get started on my coop plans. I'd like to build a modified version of the Herb Garden Coop - http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Coop-Plans/Herb-Garden-Coop-Plans-4-chickens-p927.aspx.

This comes with a raised wire floor, which from what I read, although there are some that like it, is generally discouraged. I'd really like to use the deep litter method, so i'm thinking to not install the wire floor, and just keep it enclosed at the bottom with the doors still raised a bit to accommodate both the building litter inside, and the higher snow outside.
Does this make sense?
Is it better to keep the floor dirt (as I've read is best for DLM, i'd still put hardware cloth down to keep pests or predators from digging in), or should I install a wood floor? I want to take advantage of the heat generated in the composting process.

I would also build it so i can completely open the side of the enclosed area for easier cleaning (it would basically be a large, wall sized door, weather stripped, with the small door for the hens as well.

If i closed up the floor, i would add a couple vents up at the top of the coop, particularly for the winter when the open air sections may need to be closed up with plexiglass or plastic.

What is the best option, particularly for an area that can get quite a bit of snow (Minneapolis)?

Thanks in advance!

I would raise the coop off of the ground enough so that you don't have to bend over so much to work in it. You will be glad you did.

I tried the wire floor so that the poop would fall through. It doesn't and is difficult to remove with the hardware cloth floor. My second coop has a solid floor. I use pine shavings deep litter. Much nicer to work with.

You might think about ventilation rather than heat. Chickens don't need heat, they need ventilation.

Chris

chickypunky, I think you are on the right track! I agree with raising your chicken door 8-12 inches off the floor so the litter doesn't fall out. That's what I did and it works very well. I have a wood floor in my coop because it is on a slope. I put 2 removable boards in front of the main door so my litter doesn't fall out when I open it. If you have a dirt floor with litter, you will likely need to protect the coop walls from the very bioactive litter and dirt. I put vinyl flooring on the side walls of my coop. You will also have to be sure it is predator/rat proofed by digging down 18 inches and putting hardware cloth down. One fella dug down 18 inches and poured a concrete base. I would also make sure your doors and windows are tight and nothing can squeeze through. The general rule is - if you can stick a hot dog through any hole in your coop then it is vulnerable to weasels and rats. I am rat phobic so I put metal plates along the doors so nothing can chew through the wood.

Back
Top Bottom