Chicken coop flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenkid25, Mar 23, 2016.

1. chickenkid25

chickenkid25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I am currently building a chicken coop, and i was thinking to use rubber roof coating for the floor to make it easier to clean and protect it from rotting. It is the brush on stuff that rubberizes when it dried, meant for roofing but it isnt tar. I was wondering if that is okay or if it may be toxic. Thanks:)

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I personally would skip the rubber coating and go with a vinyl linoleum on the floor if you wanted something easy to clean . You can get an end piece (remnant) at flooring stores for not much cash. Vinyl tiles would also work. Not sure if as durable as a single piece when scraping with a shovel.[​IMG]

WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    The blackjack 57 roof coating is used by many and is a great coating to the floor. There are many threads on here from people who use it. Vinyl flooring is definitely a cheaper option but I have not read of any "toxicity" issues with the roof coating. I used it on mine, but that is only because I found it super cheap.

4. chickenkid25

Mar 23, 2016

5. chickenkid25

Mar 23, 2016
    awesome thank you

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our coop floor is OSB, we painted it with a deck paint (DeckOver) which gives a rubbized,no-slip type protection. Our coop is very dry, deep bedding with poopboard and water out in the run. It has held up very well. When the coop gets cleaned out twice a year, we just use a rubber broom to sweep the old shavings into a shovel and there's no scraping needed.

I'm sure the roofing paint would work well too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by