1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

chicken coop floors.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the 412 chicks, Sep 11, 2009.

1. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    Building a coop and i was wandering what is the diffrences between wood floors and dirt.

2. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    It's harder for critters to tunnel into the coop through wood floors. The wood also provides a little more insulation against water & cold.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    for me the difference is $. My brand new fancy coop is going to have a dirt floor until next year because that's what I can afford. I'm going to put wire down under it and cover with gravel for now.

4. eggsforsale

eggsforsale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Idaho
    I have a dirt floor. I do the deep litter method and everything breaks down nicely with the dirt floor and the floor stays dry. We buried chicken wire around the outside of the coop so predators won't dig in. There are many different opinions on this.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi new person from Idaho! Do I know you?

6. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    Ya the main thing here is $$$ i think im gonna bury it a few inches so its harder for predators to get in.

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Dirt is so easy for a predator to dig thru tho....

I would recommend a cement floor if possible, or at least a wooden floor covered with linoleum for ease of cleaning. We have a raised floor, so we dont have to worry about anyhting digging thru, but our wooden floor is covered with lino, and its so easy to clean that way. Nothing sticks, and if the water spills etc it wont make a mess all over <ie mud>. Just a few easily removed shavings.

I have a friend who has chicks in a dirt floroed coop.. something dug right thru the side and under the coop to get in... it wasnt pretty [​IMG]

I try to let people know that if they have any kind of a choice in floor over dirt...put something to barrier against the predators!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by