Chicken coop for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tarr32, Jan 20, 2014.

1. tarr32

tarr32 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    I just ordered my ducks and hope to have a trio of Welsh Harlequins. I am handy enough to assemble a duck house but not enough to build....at all. All the options online are for chicken coops. Can anyone recommend a reasonable option that would work well for ducks? We have a large coop for our 13 chickens and I spent way too much on that! :)

2. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    my trio of pekins live with my 12 BR hens they are all a big flock .... well they tolerate each other happily . works perfectly . they hens get the roost and the boxes up top and the ducks share a corner nest on the floor - in the morning they all get let out - ducks always go off one way and chickens another - i also now have 2 Geese who have joined the duck flock haha its so fun and plenty of room for all in the Chicken coop.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some people use dog houses with modifications. Any opening needs to be covered with half inch metal hardware cloth to keep predators out.

The shelter needs good ventilation, but needs to keep out the wind.

My neighbor helped me - he built the house to my spec, and I built the porch and pen. I am not particularly handy, but my design was very very basic.

Chicken coops - some of them - may lend themselves to modification for ducks. No ramps, or very small slope. No roosts, no nest boxes, a watering station to prevent soaked bedding. We have an open floor plan with a couple of 2'x2', 3/4 inch plywood boards set at right angles to the walls to make corners because our ducks like to make nests and lay eggs in corners.

Here is the watering station.

[​IMG]

4. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    the trick is to keep all water outside the coop - no mess no problems . all my girls are fully free ranged so they only use the coop to lay eggs and sleep in - or hang out in if its cold .... other than that its empty . all water is outside and changed 2x daily plus the ducks pools are 50ft away from the coop - except for now since its winter .[​IMG]

5. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i need to ask do any of you guy let your duck go in a run until you wake up to go and let them out to free range because i was wanting to do that but also keep them in the run when they hatch out the duckling this year until the duckling get sold or get big to go out and free range with my duck flock will this work and not make my duck unhappy

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I keep 1/3 of an acre fenced around my duck house but it's not night time safe, but i use it for bad weather and for dusk, usually in hot summer nights i leave the ducks out past dark but don't want them out wandering about, so i shut the gate.

I have also kept mama and ducklings in this area, till they are bigger to free range the farm... funny enough the mums tend to do it naturally.

7. mfaith694

mfaith694 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    how safe is it to order ducks online? I am thinking about it but don't know how risky it is. Any advice?

8. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I ordered mine online. I ordered 10 chicks and 4 ducklings that were 1 day old. All came healthy and are still thriving as we wait on our first egg from them any day now. The only thing is I ordered all females (chicks and ducklings) in the chickens, i ended up with 3 roo out of 10 and 1 drake out of four. In the end, the males worked out for me because they are the good ones that aren't aggressive and all get along.

9. mfaith694

mfaith694 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    thank you!!!

10. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I had a square box dog house given to me. I extended it and made it 6 feet tall, turned it on its side and made the door opening bigger. I had a few cases of the commercial floor tile that you have to glue down so I used liquid nail and covered the floor inside so that it would be easier to clean then put pine shavings in. They love it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by