Chicken Coop Foundation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dmerriman, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Right now I have a coop that is supported by 4 x 4 and the run is sitting on 2 x 4. The ground I put it at is at a slope and I am sick and tired of all the mud, shavings, rainwater, etc in the run washing down outside of the coop and creating a mess. I am curious if someone has an idea of how I could add a foundation underneath and make it all level and backfill dirt in to make the ground level? The coop is also surrounded by a hardware cloth predator apron. Below are the best images I have showing the muck of what is produced from the angle in the run and also shows how the coop is being supported. All opinions and thoughts are appreciated. unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Melky likes this.
  2. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Concrete blocks would work but we put ours down and built on top of them to begin with. Maybe some pavers. How much work are you prepared to do?

Melky likes this.
  3. I am willing to do anything and everything to get rid of the mess the "erosion" from the coop is causing. When I initially built the coop, I was not thinking about this and thought a sloped run would be different and cool but now looking back on it I should of added a foundation to stop the erosion

Melky and igorsMistress like this.
  4. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    We used the concrete blocks that have holes in them, leveled the ground and put them in. There are small spaces between these to allow excess water to drain if it gets in. Then we built the coop on top. The inside is level even though the ground outside isn't. Then we added pine shavings, hay etc and use deep litter. It has helped the structure of the soil in there tremendously. Also, everything on top has to get wet before it leaks down to the ground. By the time that happens it really has to rain a lot!

How much of a slope do you have?

Melky likes this.
  5. The slope varies from where in the coop since the ground is very unlevel but I believe the steepest slope I could find was about an 8-inch difference.

Melky likes this.
  6. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    sw_chicken_sweats_04_lb_151124_12x5_992.jpg Welcome to BYC!
    I think your set up looks great. Truthfully your set up for drainage looks better than mine. I have a slightly higher grade in the back and mine sets in a wood frame that it came with. My erosion is only inside the run because the chickens dust bathe in it and requires regrading. We get a lot of rain too. I put down straw to avoid muddy mess and wait till dry part of spring. :idunno:frow:welcome:fl

igorsMistress likes this.
  7. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Maybe you just need to regrade and improve the soil. Improvements will also help prevent runoff because the soil will naturally absorb more water. You can use leaves from the trees, grass clippings, etc. Your flock will love it and turn it over for you too.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Melky likes this.
  8. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I’m hoping my DH will put in a stone patio where the coop will sit with run over dirt area. That way around the coop is not muddy in bad weather. In summer can just spray off. Planning on garden shed for half storage half coop. :fl Waiting on my planning commission currently. Have shed on sale waiting.

9. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    That sounds like a good plan! I hope it works for you. Easy to clean is a huge plus!

I'm very fortunate to have a side yard where we put the coop. I move the bedding from the coop outside and just spread it around the yard there. It's surrounded on all sides so it doesn't blow around too bad.
    Our flock has access to the entire backyard though so no particular area gets a lot of attention. They spread the love:gig

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So under the waterer is the low spot?
    Is it like that all the time or just after heavy rains/snow melt?
    Are there run off issues nearby that add to the problem?

I'd suggest aged ramial wood chipping bedding in the run.
    It will help soak up the water from puddling and digest the poops.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-2-19_8-46-48.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: