Chicken Coop Heating

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by slagbuster, Oct 9, 2012.

1. slagbuster

slagbuster New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    I just built my coop. Being here in Massachusetts it does get cold, and the wife was concerned about the chickens freezing, even though we insulated the coop. I found a very cool product online at Http://CaloriQue.com . It is a flexible film radiant heating panel.
    They make it for 12", 16" and 24" oc framing. I put 10 panels at 10 watts each, under the roost area, so it is like a 100 watt light bulb except that the heat is spread out over 12.6 sq ft. Highly energy efficient. It hasn't gotten cold enough yet to use, but we're anxious to see how it performs. We did put down cheap ceramic tile for a floor, so we think it should radiate the heat really well.

2. jojothechicken

jojothechicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Hello,
    I also live in Massachusetts, and yesterday actually I went out to buy a heat lamp for the winter coming up. I asked the owner of the store and he said they would be totally fine without it. I have four hens and an un-insulated 4x8 coop, I think they will be fine without it if you don't want the hassle or totally keep it if you are worried about them. :)

3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    [​IMG] Thanks for sharing the interesting idea for heating the coop - can't wait to hear how it performs. I am sure many of us would love to have warm ceramic tiles in our own homes, much less in the chicken coop!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. slagbuster

slagbuster New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    On our coop, we recycled a lot of demolition materials, and salvage from our home renovation project. What we didn't have we found on Craigslist for really short dollars. The "coop portion" is 8 x 12, and then I added a second story, that looks out into the conservation land behind us, which is 12 x 12. Total out of pocket was less than $500.

The ceramic tiles were a closeout, so I think it was $20, and it just seemed like it would be easier to clean and sanitize when needed. The heating film was also left over from our home renovation, so we know it works, it's just the least amount we felt would work ( like a 100 watt light bulb ) just spread out over a larger surface area.

It the end because of the insulation, and the heat that the chickens generate themselves, we might not need it, but it's there in case...and it relieved the anxiety of the wife...priceless. [​IMG]

The chickens are coming in this week!

6. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

And that is exactly why you get a heater for the chooks .... worth every penny.

"happy wife, happy life"

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

10. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by