Chicken coop help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Glady'sGardenFarm, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Glady'sGardenFarm

Glady'sGardenFarm Just Hatched

Apr 16, 2018
    Does anyone have either of these chicken coops from Tractor Supply? I would love feedback if you've owned either of these coops, website has such limited information. I know it is better to build but I am hoping with some modifications and making this predator proof I can save my self time by purchasing a coop. I would have 10 chickens max and am planning to reinforce the coop and they have chicken tunnels all over the property to roam around. I have read some terrible things about TS chicken coops but hoping for some information on these 2 coops in particular!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Flock Master

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Both of those coops are not ideal for 10 chickens. ALL COOP BUILDERS, over-rate their capacities.
    Yes you can squeeze 10 chickens into them, but in short time you will learn what the consequences of over crowding are. It may not lead you to drinking, but certainly no happy hens.
    For 10 hens it is ideal to have 40 square feet of coop space. That is besides 100 square feet of run space. Skip the run space if you intend to free range all the time. That has its own set of problems BTW. Total free ranging does work in few ares with limited predator populations.
    Consider a Garden shed as an alternative. It comes bare-bone empty, so you would need to do some interior decorating yourself. Compare 40 square foot garden shed to the coop you are considering as to price. You make the best decision once you evaluate all things beforehand.
    WISHING YOU BEST...... :welcome

jthornton likes this.
  3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Flock Master

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    :welcome

Where you are located will also be a factor.
    We don't need your street address. :cool:
    Just what state and maybe North or South within the state. For example I am in Northern Colorado.

I don't have either of those coops.

I know they say they will hold many.......reality is quite different.

Many people have been modifying the prefab coops so that the run is enclosed as part of the coop. They then have to build a new run.

I actually agree that a shed kit is a much more viable structure.

Really weigh the options.

jthornton likes this.
  4. Glady'sGardenFarm

Apr 16, 2018
    Thank you both for the help, I am located in Astoria, Oregon our weather is pretty mild I’ll just need a solid foundation to attach what ever coop or shed I build to since we do get high winds

5. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    I have One extremely similar to the first one but it is inside my chicken run and I have a larger coupe that we built for my chickens. I keep the young ones in there to kind of integrate into the flock. Those coops and runs say they hold a certain amount of chickens. The one I bought claimed it was for 6 to 8 chickens. I could not imagine 6 to 8 of my chickens living in there. Not happily And it would definitely need to have a lot of work to be predator proof depending on where you live. Now surprisingly it has held up for several years and is in good shape still. But I’ve noticed if something says it holds six chickens remember that it probably really only holds three

6. Glady'sGardenFarm

Apr 16, 2018
    Yeah it is not okay the way they calculate number of chickens, these are both rated for 18-20 chickens, I’ll have an addition 12x12 so 144 sq feet run also for the 10 chickens. TSC doesn’t have measurements of the inside coop area that I need, I just like how these are laid out and the bottoms pull out to clean

7. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    You may be able to find the measurements online or from the manufacturer that makes them online But I don’t know what kind of predators you deal with but I would feel like I would almost need to redo the run completely to keep predators out. But I deal with a lot of predators so I guess it depends on what you’re dealing with. But you also have to remember chickens are addictive you may say 10 max but .....

8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Flock Master

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    How much are they asking for those coops?

If you go with a shed kit..... Will someone be able to help you build?

You know..........I am liking hoop coops more and more.
    Don't rule these out either.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

The covered section could be done with the plastic roofing BUT snow load may sit on instead of sliding off.

9. Mraya

Mraya Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2017
    Walkertown,NC
    Even the pictures show 3 chickens in the run, now imagine 10 chickens in there.
    They would be fighting in no time. Have you tried looking for a shed to make into a coop and adding on the run.

cavemanrich likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I am a 62 y.o. biddy. In the past 5 years, I've built a 12 x 8 cattle panel coop, 2 chicken tractors, and a green house. If I can build my own, any one can do it. Cattle panel coops are super easy to build and require very minimal framing.

For standard construction, I strongly advise you to look at this little book, "Sunset Sheds and Garages". It will give even a novice the encouragement to design and build their own coop.

Those prefabs are poorly designed, made of flimsy materials, will not last more than a season or two, and will not be adequate for the needs of your flock. For 10 birds, you are going to need at least 40 s.f. of coop with 10 s.f. of ventilation.

If you did decide to start with one of these pre fabs, I would eliminate the front wall of the "coop area" and turn the entire thing into a coop, then add your run to that. But, for the money involved, you can build your own and end up with a far superior product. It will still cost less, even if you have to start by purchasing a chop saw, drill, and skill saw!

cavemanrich likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by