chicken coop in progress, flashing question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fiddlebanshee, May 15, 2010.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Sorry for the double posting. Mods, please delete, I accidentally submitted twice.

Hi everyone. My shed was finally delivered and I'm starting to convert it into a coop. Here's some pics of what I have so far. The question at this point is:
    how to protect the raw edges of the window openings. I am wondering if I can put z flashing on top of the T111 and then fasten it to a 1x2 that I'd fasten to the inside of the window opening. Edges and corners would be sealed with caulk (polyurethene?). I'd also first prime the edges of the windows with Kilz. The thing with this setup is that I would also have a surface to fasten the hardware cloth to.

What'cha all think?

The window openings:
    [​IMG]

The roosting area:
    [​IMG]

The poopboard is an old piece of countertop, 32 inch wide, and some OSB in the corner. On top of that will be washingmachine pans for catching the poop and easy cleaning. The countertop rests on recycled kitchen cabinets with the doors removed for nesting boxes, and 2x6 lumber that was left over from construction of our house to support it at the front and the sides.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] WOW! [​IMG] looking good

Now to answer your Question yes that would work it will also allow you to attach a a widow close for the winter with hinges (unless you plan to put in a real working window).

Please post more pictures as you go further into it (We love pictures here)
    Good Luck to you

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Yes, I have already built windows to cover the holes, I just need to prime and paint them. I was planning to just attach them with hinges to the T111 at the top and have them pivot out, like a hopper window.
    These are the windows I built (with my new SCMS) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These warped a bit because of the pine, but also because the bevel on the miter saw was just a tiny bit off, and i hadn't noticed. So I redid them in poplar, just need to prime and paint them still. THey are nice square and flat.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by