Chicken Coop in the Blizzard

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rsimpson, Dec 12, 2010.

1. rsimpson

rsimpson Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Colfax, WI
    The coop came thru with flying colors during the blizzard yesterday. Everyone stayed in nice and snug.

18 inches of snow! The coop is definitely NOT going anywhere until spring!

I had to shovel off the top of the covered run today.

[​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    18 INCHES!!!! [​IMG] Glad to see the coop made it through...I couldn't imagine 18" in 1 day!!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wow. There was another thread on here today with photos from someone in Rochelle, Illinois. There was so much snow IN his coop he had to move the chickens to his garage. Blew in through the vents, I gather.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

That "stuff" (snow) was tolerable when I was young enough and healthy enough to ski (living in Colorado then).

I can't stand to see the "stuff" anymore. (But expecting to "get-nailed" any day now...it's been nice lately...but COLD.)

I wouldn't trade places with ya .......SNOW ain't FUN no more.

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I had a little blow in my coop, too. I had covered the large 1'x8' vent in the highest wall with plastic, but that left the eaves up by the roof open, about 4 inches tall in the front and back wall. The wind is blowing so hard it is sending snow in under the eaves. I had left those uncovered for ventilation. It's working!

7. rsimpson

May 20, 2010
    Colfax, WI
    I can't tell you how glad I am that I built the coop on a trailer so it's off the ground.

8. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Wow that is a phenomenal picture! We got 4 ft in 2 days about 6 years ago - but that was BC (before chickens). I'd hate to see that now!

This was after day one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  9. rsimpson

May 20, 2010
    Colfax, WI
    Quote:Yup 18 inches! It took just about 5 hours to dig out our 2 driveways and down to the barn.

Here's our trucks this morning...

[​IMG]

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm in southeast Minnesota. I can't even tell you how much we got because it is all drifted and blowing everywhere. We had 12" from last week, and then this was supposed to bring another 16" yesterday. The one nice thing, it insulates around the lower walls of the coops. Actually, one is an ark that I covered the open end with a tarp, but had to go block off the cracks and gaps with bales of straw before this last one moved in. Poor chooks are just huddled in there not even wanting to step out. As long as they have water and feed, they will have to stay in until it picks up in temp in another day or two. They are going to love their new coop when it gets here, that is for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by