Chicken coop inside corner of shed.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whatsachicken, Jun 13, 2008.

1. whatsachicken

whatsachicken New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    I have a 12' X 10' shed that is not yet filled to capacity.
    I was planning on using a 4' X 5' corner of the shed to build a coop for 3 to 4 hens. I would add a chicken door and small window to the shed also a relite to use the light from the shed windows. I have not seen a post of anyone doing this. Does anyone know of an obvious problem that I am not seeing.

Thank you

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
  3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I just posted the same question, but mine is attached to our house. Seachick. That looks beautiful. We live in a yellow farm house and I am a seachick too.[​IMG]

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Nice SeaChick!!!! We live in the 'burbs too so we built our coop inside the garage. It's pouring rain otherwise I'd take a pic, but we just framed in a corner. Works really good except in the summer it's HOT so I've been leaving the garage door open. I bought a 10 x 10 x 6 dog kennel and want to somehow attach it to the back of the garage with a little door so they can go in and out. Still have a while to worry about that though!

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Wonderful coop seachick!

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    im doing it. the only problem i have had is that I had to rethink the location from the back to the side because the shed has been there so long its sides have sunk a little. I had to pop out boards in the eves (sp?) for ventilation and being inexperienced Im not sure how to do a window. But otherwise Im taking it one step at a time and feel lucky I already have a pretty nice place to start.

7. whatsachicken

whatsachicken New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    Thank you all. I will give it a go. It will be nice to have feed and supplies right next to the coop.

A shed window isn't that difficult. The hardest part is to cut out the siding a bit bigger than the window.
    I bought a good used window for $15 at a salvage store. I would look for one in your area.

8. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Let me be the first to tell you:
    In a very short time, your thread title will not be:
    Chicken coop inside corner of shed.
    but, instead:
    Shed in corner of Chicken Coop
    followed soon after by:
    Look at our new Expanded Chicken Coop ( Tools now in corner of garage)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All kidding aside, your idea is great. I've done this myself and it works really well.

9. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    That kind of sounds like what I am doing with my garage for my coop. I havn't started building yet. I'm making a small coop in the back corner though.

10. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Windows are pretty easy, just makes sure the siding is already up, there's plenty of 2" x 4" blocking and use a good polyethylene caulk. If the margin around the window is more than 3/8", use backer rod behind your caulk bead. It'll keep it from falling in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by