chicken coop interior paint?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mtnhens4, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    Is it ok to paint the inside of my chicken coop? It seems that it would be easier to clean if it were painted.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I paint the inside of mine every year or so, never had problem 1 ever. now some will say freak out and say no but I think many more do paint and it is absolutely fine, so if that's what you want to do go right ahead it will be great.

AL

3. Spudd dud

Spudd dud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Mondovi
    Yeah, painting is a great way to seal up the wooden interior. I used a primmer and then a couple coats of white latex. Just like anything though you want to let it air out before you put your babies in there.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yes, I have painted the interior of the coop I built and will be painting the new coop I'm having built, with primer and exterior latex pain. I use exterior paint on the inside; it is easier to clean. Plus, as already mentioned, it seals up cracks where mites might congregate.

Oh, and it lightens up the interior, not so gloomy when you go inside. Dunno if the chickens care, but I do!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. chevgrl

chevgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Western Iowa
    Great question! I was wondering this myself... I am so excited to paint it in there cause mines and old coop and it's pretty depressing to me I imagen my babies feel the same. I have heard not to paint the inside of the meeting boxes though cause they like it alittle darker.

6. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    We painted ours! I caulked every single crack and corner, put a white primer paint over the wood... painted with a latex color or 2 that I liked and then used a glossy varnish over that so it would wipe down easily. I wanted to seal it up nice and reduce the cracks mites could hide in, and also make it easy to clean. It looks pretty - I don't know if the chicks care, but we like it.

7. Easier clean up. Seals up the wood. More sanitary (if there is such a thing in a coop). [​IMG] Pretty things up a bit. Go for it!

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Painting helps to seal and protect the wood, and if you use a semi-gloss or other scrubbable paint, cleaning will be easier. However, don't put your chickens into the coop until it's completely dry and all the paint odor is gone. Paint fumes can be toxic to birds in closed spaces.

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yes paint the interior. it will seal the wood up. i did a creme color, so the light shines better in their. its cheery calming color. [​IMG]

10. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    I used a primer and then white enamel exterior paint. The enamel makes the floor much easier to clean and the wall behind the roosts. I painted the floor of the nest boxes with the same enamel but then had left over dark grey paint that I used on the walls to make it a nice dark nest box.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by