chicken coop interior paint?

I paint the inside of mine every year or so, never had problem 1 ever. now some will say freak out and say no but I think many more do paint and it is absolutely fine, so if that's what you want to do go right ahead it will be great.

AL

Yeah, painting is a great way to seal up the wooden interior. I used a primmer and then a couple coats of white latex. Just like anything though you want to let it air out before you put your babies in there.

Oh, yes, I have painted the interior of the coop I built and will be painting the new coop I'm having built, with primer and exterior latex pain. I use exterior paint on the inside; it is easier to clean. Plus, as already mentioned, it seals up cracks where mites might congregate.

Oh, and it lightens up the interior, not so gloomy when you go inside. Dunno if the chickens care, but I do!

Last edited:
Great question! I was wondering this myself... I am so excited to paint it in there cause mines and old coop and it's pretty depressing to me I imagen my babies feel the same. I have heard not to paint the inside of the meeting boxes though cause they like it alittle darker.

We painted ours! I caulked every single crack and corner, put a white primer paint over the wood... painted with a latex color or 2 that I liked and then used a glossy varnish over that so it would wipe down easily. I wanted to seal it up nice and reduce the cracks mites could hide in, and also make it easy to clean. It looks pretty - I don't know if the chicks care, but we like it.

Easier clean up. Seals up the wood. More sanitary (if there is such a thing in a coop).
gig.gif
Pretty things up a bit. Go for it!

Painting helps to seal and protect the wood, and if you use a semi-gloss or other scrubbable paint, cleaning will be easier. However, don't put your chickens into the coop until it's completely dry and all the paint odor is gone. Paint fumes can be toxic to birds in closed spaces.

yes paint the interior. it will seal the wood up. i did a creme color, so the light shines better in their. its cheery calming color.
cool.png

I used a primer and then white enamel exterior paint. The enamel makes the floor much easier to clean and the wall behind the roosts. I painted the floor of the nest boxes with the same enamel but then had left over dark grey paint that I used on the walls to make it a nice dark nest box.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom