Chicken coop is finally finished! pictures included.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Missymac, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    The nesting boxes. I brought more hay in after as well saw dust for the floor.
    [​IMG]

Finished coop and run:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy Chickens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    great setup [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    WOW!!! You all did a great job. That is one good looking pen. As far as your nesting boxes, is the nesting box itself deep enough so that the eggs don't roll out. I couldn't tell from the pic.

Your chickens will love it!

[​IMG]

4. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Thank you. I am so glad to finally get them out of the 6' x 10' dog run they were living in. I didn't realize how much work moving chickens was though. A few of them follow me everywhere so I just opened the kennel and they followed me out. The newer roosters had no intention of being captured so they ran around for a good 20 minutes. The rest took lead from the rooster and thought they were under attack. Chickens flying this way and that. I had to dodge a few cannon balling chickens. You would think as many chickens as were out there, it would have been easy. But no. They ran around, got the beagles barking. The more the dogs barked the worse they became. Food was out of the question. They knew it was a trick. lol.

5. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Quote:The top could use another board. it is as deep as it looks about 4". The bottom is about 8" deep.

6. starryhen

starryhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Hi ... On moving chickens. I wait until night, pick them up and transport them. They can't see at night and are usually quite docile.
    He he ... if not they are can make a huge racket and struggle. if someone tries this for the first time protect your hands and arms and keep them away from your face.
    I'm too old to chase the chickens around and my dog is too young to know what to do. Blessings on you and your flock and congratulations on the finished coop.

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Great looking setup! One thing I wondered was do your nesting boxes have a lip? If not, you might add a board across the whole front to give it a little lip. This will help keep all the bedding in and keep eggs from falling out.

Truly awesome!

8. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    What a nice place for your chickens! I really like all the trees around it-provides some nice shade. [​IMG]

9. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Wow that is impressive. Mine will be nothing close to that, even though in my head that would be my dream set up.

10. harri

harri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Very Nice! Love the run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by