Chicken Coop lights?

Raz6200

Hatching
Apr 29, 2020
Hi all,
I’m new to this site and actually new to raising chickens. The wife wanted some chickens to help her keep the insect population down in her garden. The eggs are going to be an added bonus. I’ve just completed the coop and run/pen build that took a lot longer than I originally thought. But I’ve made it as predator proof as possible. I added a chicken guard (auto door) to the coop and I’m trying to train them to go in at night but I have the timer set for 7:15 and it’s not quite dark yet so that may be part of the problem. What I’m thinking is to set the timer to a later time (when it’s actually dark or getting dark) and adding a light to the coop itself to show them where home is. So that brings me to my question I’m currently looking for a Solar powered | dusk to dawn Coop light. Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific light to use? Also any suggestions to get these little gals trained to go in the coop would be nice as well. I appreciate any help I could get and look forward to hearing from you. Here’s a few pics of the coop while building and once complete. Thanks in advance and for allowing me into your community.

Attachments

• F42657DD-28EF-4F4B-9D66-9182743A1192.jpeg
    F42657DD-28EF-4F4B-9D66-9182743A1192.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 23D43CA2-0BDB-46A0-AC08-2023CF2DDF0C.jpeg
    23D43CA2-0BDB-46A0-AC08-2023CF2DDF0C.jpeg
    553.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 7808D1A7-4946-4910-9147-8D82DDA2BEC4.jpeg
    7808D1A7-4946-4910-9147-8D82DDA2BEC4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 17535745-0134-4BCE-AE47-CE3B2A0CA8ED.jpeg
    17535745-0134-4BCE-AE47-CE3B2A0CA8ED.jpeg
    964.5 KB · Views: 10
When I first put my chickens in the coop they are locked up for a week or so. Then they are allowed in the run and coop. When I decide to start letting them out of the run I do not let them out until about a half hour before they would go to roost. That way they don't go far from the coop. As days go on I let them out earlier. They should return to the coop on their own.

:welcome :frow I have night lights in all of my coops. I use the 1 watt LCD bulbs. The light is equivalent to a 11 watt bulb. My chicks have lights from the moment they hatch and I do think it helps. I do leave them in the coop for a couple of weeks before I let them out and then they think of the coop as their safe place. That is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others with many different opinions. I have less of a problem getting them into the coop at night. I also feed the chicks in the evenings when I first put them out in the coop. They will always go in to get fed. Good luck and have fun...

If using the timer option on the Chicken Guard, best to set it slightly later than dusk to make sure dwadlers all make it in. I actually set mine further out than that, mostly because I don't want to constantly make adjustments to it.

Either an artificial light or a window or two will give them the light they need to see to go inside. Windows are the easiest of course... no need to turn on and off or power it.

I lock my chickens into the coop for a few days to home them to it.

If using the timer option on the Chicken Guard, best to set it slightly later than dusk to make sure dwadlers all make it in. I actually set mine further out than that, mostly because I don't want to constantly make adjustments to it.

Either an artificial light or a window or two will give them the light they need to see to go inside. Windows are the easiest of course... no need to turn on and off or power it.

I lock my chickens into the coop for a few days to home them to it.
I actually changed the setting last night to 7:45. but I’m still not sure that’s late enough since it’s still not actually dark yet. I gotta Find that sweet spot. I do Think a light would help but don’t have electricity to the coop so thats why I was Thinking of a solar dusk to dawn light. I just Don’t see any good ones out there on the internet.

not for birds, but I've changed my house accent lights to use a xmas light timer which you can program the number of hours you want them to stay on at night after dusk. A lot more convenient than fiddling with the timer every month to account for changes in day light. If I lived on the equator this would have been simpler...

not for birds, but I've changed my house accent lights to use a xmas light timer which you can program the number of hours you want them to stay on at night after dusk. A lot more convenient than fiddling with the timer every month to account for changes in day light. If I lived on the equator this would have been simpler...
Yea but that requires electric which I currently Don’t have in the coop

Back
Top Bottom