Chicken coop litter as mulch for trees.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Roy Rooster, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Does anyone know if chicken coop litter is okay to put around trees?

I have a large tree by the chicken coop, it is a hackberry I believe.

Anyway, when I clean the litter out of the coop I have been putting it
    around the tree as mulch. Is it okay to do this? I just wanted to know
    so I don't do anything to hurt the tree.

Thanks in Advance

2. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Is that anyone out there?? [​IMG]

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    It may be too strong. I am not sure. I am letting mine age a bit in a compost pile.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    About a year and a half ago I was concerned about 2 of my 4 pine trees, so I asked a neighbor who is a soil scientist (complete with lab) to take a look and tell me what she thought might be wrong. She pulls up and sees one of the ones I am concerned about in the front yard. SHe is puzzled and says it looks fine. Go into the back yard where she sees the other one I am concerned about and says IT looks fine. THen we walk further to the two by the barn and she says "OH, Now I see why you were concerned. These two are doing fabulously! Far better than "average." A few months earlier I had removed a chicken pen that had been under and between both trees for the previous two years. No, it did not get raked out all that often. Occasionally. and with flood irrigation what was there soaked right in.

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:Thanks for the post. So I can assume that it is safe to put litter from the coop directly around the tree, right?
    I have a huge hackberry tree that is by the coop. The chickens love to hang under it and scratch in the old bedding and
    leaves. I just want to make sure that by putting the old shaving from the coop around the tree I am not doing it any harm.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Thanks for the post. So I can assume that it is safe to put litter from the coop directly around the tree, right?
    I have a huge hackberry tree that is by the coop. The chickens love to hang under it and scratch in the old bedding and
    leaves. I just want to make sure that by putting the old shaving from the coop around the tree I am not doing it any harm.

If you are concerned, you can compost it for a few months first.

7. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Most of my trees handle the chicken litter fine, but I killed 2 plum trees by using the litter too soon. Fresh chicken manure has very high nitrogen content that burns the tree's roots. My two trees turned black and died. If the tree is very important to you I would suggest piling the litter somewhere for a few months first and then use it. If you do use it pretty fresh be careful not to let it actually touch the tree's trunk.

8. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:ok, thanks your info was very helpful. I will let it cool then use it.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio

Yes you want to age for small trees, that large hackberry ,it would take a lot to harm it.

Had a friend that would keep chicken manure in a water barrel , he call it manure tea ,watered his garden with it, grew some show winners at the fair.

10. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.

Yes you want to age for small trees, that large hackberry ,it would take a lot to harm it.

Had a friend that would keep chicken manure in a water barrel , he call it manure tea ,watered his garden with it, grew some show winners at the fair.

Ok, thanks. I was thinking that it would take tons to harm it, but I wanted to make sure.
    I figured it would make great organic fertalized mulch for the tree. Doing more good than harm.
    Thanks Again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by