Chicken coop made from skids??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mmtillman, Jan 19, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello...would love to see anyones coop that was made from skids? I found the one on the coop pix...but would welcome any additional ideas? I have an old lady friend who gathers scrapes of wood and skids and she needs some ideas on how to start one ?? Thanks in advance!! A new member to the chickenhood....Mary Ann Tillman
    ( mmtillman )

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    hello, and [​IMG]

By "skids", do you mean the same things I call pallets?

Here's a recent thread regarding pallets for coops-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=120702

and if you go to the search box, top right, and type in "pallets coops" there is a lot more!

Getting started is the easy part for me- I have trouble finishing! [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Great site, eggzettera! Thank you for that link! [​IMG]

5. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    weeeee!!!

Two weeks ago i discovered a clearing house for pallets/skids. $2 per skid plus free delivery.

with 6 skids ($12), a drill, some screws, a sheet of corrugated tin and some hinges I made a 7x7x4 coop perfect for a roo and 5 hens. Also good for goats or pigs. For some of the flightier birds i had to put mesh on the top. It would be 8 skids but I borrowed a wall from an existing structure.

Its highly functional highly affordable, but very utilitarian in appearance. in other words its ugly and cheap, but it works.

since then i have made a row of these units. Three units in total all borrowing a wall so the total cost in lumber was $36. The tin sheets and two sets of hinges were all salvaged from my own and my neighbors junk heaps. the wire was left over from another project.

i plan on making another row of these structures, but i will have to purchase new roofing material, new hinges, and new wire in addition to the skids.

I estimate the cost will fall at around $120-$150. But i am finding having my chickens divided up into smaller groups rather than just 1 huge group, is making everything much more manageable. the only pain is making and buying more feeders and more waterers.

I'm working on a plan for a PVC minisilo that i can fill once a week with feed that will release as needed automatically, much the same way some store bought feeders can.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

6. CrunchySarah

CrunchySarah Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks so much for this thread and the wonderful ideas within! I'm feeling motivated that this could work for us!

7. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    the pallet shed is awsome! I think I know how I am going to build my new barn. Most of your better pallets are built out of hickory. Some from oak.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  8. Want2BFarmer

Want2BFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    I just got done making a coop and run for my chickens out of skids. First off I would never pay for a skid. You need to look around and you can find them for free. Second.....it will save you money but it does limit you when it comes time to building the coop. I took pride in the fact that I wanted to spend as little as possible to build the coop so it would actually be worth it to raise some meat birds. Finally it cost me 20 dollars to build the coop but took a lot longer to build.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have any pics??????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Want2BFarmer

Want2BFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    PA
    I will post some later on today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by