Chicken Coop Plans

Dionna77

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2015
I was going to originally to buy a per-made coop and put it together but I found out that a lot of the coops are not so good. So, now I am going to build one. But, I am looking for a website where I can find plans for building chicken coops. All of you guys gave me your honest thoughts about the per-made coops and it really helped me make the best choice for and my chickens.

I have 3 chicks and they are in a brooder right now but soon I need to move them outside. Into the chicken coop I am going to build.

Type of coop I am looking for:
-Very Simple
-Walk In Run
-Easy assess to getting to the chickens and easy to clean

Since I live in Minnesota so I will have to make sure that it is ready for winter 2016. If you guys have any ideas how I can do this that would be great.

Thanks so much for all you help again,

New To The Chicken World,

-Dionna
big_smile.png

look at Blooies coop and hoop run, or chook a holic's hoop run with the coop inside. I'm currently building a new coop myself, and plan on using the cattle panels to make my run out of. I have a thread 'future coop and run' a bit farther down the page. I'm going a little more 'egg stravagant' hehehe, on the coop, DW wanted it to look like a playhouse

Are you looking to build a tractor type coop/run combo or a stationary one? I'm getting 4 hens soon. Hubby is building something. We are trying to decide "what" right now :)

I am looking one that is stationed and isn't going to move with a walk in run. That is all I know right now. I not sure if my husband is going to have time to build me one so I am also looking for some one to custom make me a coop they way I want it. I don't want to buy one online or from a store I want something that is going to sturdy and keep my chickens warm in the winter and keeps the predators out. So, what are you thinking of building I love new ideas.

-Dionna

We have an itty bitty yard with BIG coons, tiny ( merlin)hawks, and neighborhood doggies and kitties, and a fox family within hunting range. Our neighbors posted a lost chicken sign a year ago. Sadly, they never found that chicken. I'm thinking enclosed all around latched up tight and moveable. I plan to move it everyday in warmer months and then maybe expand it a bit in the winter and wind block it by the house. Hubby is starting with simple a frames so we can add on later if needed. also thought of chicken tunnels for daytime use. Town ordinance is they MUST be contained, 4 hens only, no roosters. We have 5 acres outside of town and will be moving there in about 2 years so chickens will have a stationary coop and free range then. :)

Last edited:
Sounds good I like your plan I still figuring things out because I am new to the chicken world but I love it so far it has been a lot of fun. I have 3 baby chicks now that aren't ready to go out into the coop so I am trying to figure out what I need and have it built by the time they are ready to go out in the coop.

That is why I am taking all the advice I can get on building a coop and run.

-Dionna

Our coop was relatively simple, but it took some doing. Neither of us are carpenters - I always tell folks that between us we couldn't stack a straight sandwich. But we managed to get it done, and it's working out just fine. We did it despite both of us being older folks and we both have some disabilities. We started ours in mid-March and had it occupied the first of April.

You have some options, depending upon your budget and your confidence. Right now most big box home stores have their sheds on sale, getting ready for spring buyers, and most of them will even deliver and set up for an extra charge. A wooden shed can easily be modified to house chickens - metal and the heavy plastic ones can certainly work too, but heat during summer months and ventilation is somewhat more of an issue. Folks have used playhouses, trampoline frames, swing set frames - imagination run wild in the coop section of BYC.

My coop build, which PapaChaz was kind enough to mention, can be found under my avatar. Click where it says "My Coop". I need to get busy and add what we did for winter....just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good luck with whatever you decided to do! Oh, and post pictures! I love to see what people are building, and so do lots of other people!

I was going to originally to buy a per-made coop and put it together but I found out that a lot of the coops are not so good. So, now I am going to build one. But, I am looking for a website where I can find plans for building chicken coops. All of you guys gave me your honest thoughts about the per-made coops and it really helped me make the best choice for and my chickens.

I have 3 chicks and they are in a brooder right now but soon I need to move them outside. Into the chicken coop I am going to build.

Type of coop I am looking for:
-Very Simple
-Walk In Run
-Easy assess to getting to the chickens and easy to clean

Since I live in Minnesota so I will have to make sure that it is ready for winter 2016. If you guys have any ideas how I can do this that would be great.

Thanks so much for all you help again,

New To The Chicken World,

-Dionna
big_smile.png
TSC has some coop plans http://www.tractorsupply.com/know-h...cm_re=2015Chickdays-_-Left_Nav-_-build_a_coop

Back
Top Bottom