chicken coop problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chzheadgrl, Oct 31, 2010.

1. chzheadgrl

chzheadgrl Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Hello!

My hens have always gone to bed by themselves, however; last week I cleaned their coop and now they sit on top of it until I put them away. I used newspaper to line the bottom and the same hay and shavings, so I don't understand what their problem is. It's starting to get cold here and I am becoming concerned on certain days when I come home late and see them shivering on top of their coop. Please help!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You cleaned their coop and messed with the coop mojo?!?! What were you thinking?!?!

Seriously, chickens hate change and you altered their living space by cleaning it. They will get used to it, but the fact that they freaked out about it is not unusual. The first winter I put shavings in my run, my chickens got very nervous and wouldn't run across the shavings to go into their coop. I had to carry each hen across the shavings and physically place each bird in the house. It took several days for them to become sure the shavings weren't going to attack them if they walked on them. I use shavings inside their coop all the time, so I figured putting them in the run would be no big deal. Apparently, the chickens thought differently.

Chickens are silly sometimes. Good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by