Chicken Coop Roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken island, Nov 23, 2011.

1. chicken island

chicken island New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    Does anybody know the steps on how to make an easy Gable Type Roof for chicken coop??

Thanks!!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't have steps, but maybe these early pics will help. I did not use bird mouth cuts, which would have looked/set better. And all my rafter boards aren't in (although in this tiny coop I only added a center rafter):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I angled the rafter boards and nailed them to the ridge beam first, so it created a sawhorse looking set-up. Then I set it on my walls. But as I said, this is a small coop, just over 4 x 4. A larger coop would require a lot more...

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you go to Lowes or HD to get one of those builders squares, they come with a blue book builders guide that I followed. Worked great for me. I've had the book for about 20 years though. It explains the birdmouth and it works.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/joefusco1960

Joe
    Fusco made a series of rafter cutting youtube videos. The quality is so-so, from an audio-visual point of view, but the content is superb.

Well worth watching, taking notes, re-playing as needed.

5. chicken island

chicken island New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks!!! I'm gonna try to build one soon!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by