Chicken Coop Sanitation... You're kidding me right?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 2, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I've tried my darnest to keep the coop, food, and waterer all nice and clean for my little babies. 50 of them, mind you...

The minute I put the waters back in, they are immedately kicking garbage into them. [​IMG] I don't care how high they are. I've duct taped those large pie tins you get with costco pies on top to keep them from pooping directly into them. Everyday, the troth is crammed packed full of shavings and poop. No food, they finish that off really fast. I need one more pie tin for the feeder, I've put a plate on top as a lid to keep them out, but they are still pooping in it. [​IMG]

My big girls are wonderful. I don't have a bit of problem with them, but these little girls are just so busy, I can't keep up. [​IMG]

Any thoughts?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put them up, not on blocks but try on a heavy inverted pot at the back level or higher. Don't give them room to get up there to stand. They should only be able to reach in with their beak to drink.

New chicks cause me to clean waterers 8 or more times a day until I can get them out of the baby brooder into something bigger.

3. nickki99

nickki99 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    I am having the same problem. A friend told me to find plastic bucket, cut round holes around it. Make the holes just big enough for them to stick their heads in. Just make sure you don't put your holes too high in the bucket so they can't reach it. I'm going to try it.

4. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yup we are kidding you.... Seriously you can't keep chicks clean, that's just a goal we strive towards. They are messy, busy souls that can't help themselves.

Try and put in enough feed that they don't run out before your back as that will cuase more scurrying and trampling at the feeder. Use more feeders so they have more feeder space and mostly just get used to cleaning up. They will be adult birds some day, and it gets cleaner from there. Until then all you can do is what your doing, clean up and refill everything as often as you can.

Oh, and enjoy them, messy as they are, it's natural and they will survive it so don't stress it too much.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, all these little ones are sold, and go to their new homes in about 3 weeks. Just got to keep them clean until then.

Speaking of keeping the feeders full, these little buggers are eating me out of house and home. #50 a week we're going through.

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My hanging feeder has a plastic squirrel baffle on the top. It's to keep out the rain, but it should keep chickens off as well. I got it at Home Depot or somewhere like that. It's the kind for a hanging bird feeder.

7. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Build a small frame out of 2x2 or 2x4 lumber, cover it with 1/4" wire and set the water container on top of it.

8. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    There was a thread a while back about what dont your chickens like! I could only post that they do not like to drink out of a waterer that does not have poop in it or on it somewhere! and that still holds today. [​IMG]

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Thats what they told me about children too... I dunno,,,

10. elliemb

elliemb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    My waterers are up on little platforms. The platforms are about 2 1/2 feet square and about 3 or 4 inches high. The little monsters arent able to kick straw into the waterers. Oh and yes.....they are very much like children......hence the invention of sippy cups!!! Maybe we are onto something here.........how about someone inventing chickie sippy cups?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by