Chicken coop / Shed

Sc00ter4900

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Massachusetts
Hello I was wondering about permits. Im building a Chicken coop . Do I need a permit? where would I find out? Or should I even ask. I have almost 7 acers And im in the woods. I dont bother the neibors And they dont really bother with me. I'm using shed plans and redoing it to fit the chickens.
Thanks Scotty

Don't ask. You may not like the answer you get.
old.gif

We actually have a shed, and we just cut a small hole in the side, attached some hinges, and whalla! Instant chicken coop! We have a completely covered area on the outside, so they can be in or out when they feel! Inside the shed we built a counter, and put chicken fence around the bottom so they don't have free run of the shed. This way they get out of the elements, and we get use of our shed still!
The girls have taken it upon themselves to lay in the shed too! This makes it easy to collect their eggs at night.
We didn't ask, and didn't tell!

Quote:
Cities are money hungry right now so I agree with you. Im using a lot of old wood laying around And a freind has 2x12 planks that i can cut into 2x4s. Free is for me
celebrate.gif

Scotty

It should not be difficult to find out what the criteria are in your municipality for whether you need a permit, and what setbacks etc you need to observe. Just phone the municipal office (use a cell-phone or somebody else's phone if you are really paranoid) and ask about hte general guidelines. There are quite likely *some* -- where I currently live, there are setbacks that must be observed and you need a permit for anything over 108 sq ft or that's attached to an existing structure.

The reason I'm encouraging you to find out is that it is not impossible for someone to hassle you about it later on, so the closer you can come to complying with bylaw, the less trouble it will cause you. And if it turns out that what you want to do *could* be required to be torn down later on, you might want to be aware of that during the construction phase.

I would not necessarily ask them about a chicken coop specifically, though, especially if chickens are not strictly-speaking legal for you
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

There are some rural areas...I'm in one...that there are no zoning laws for me. No permit required for the 12 x 20 shed I had built, delivered, and erected...or for the 10 x10 shed that is the chicken coop that was built on site.

Recently I had a new roof and gutters put on my house, and siding installed...no permits required.
If you call any local contractor...or any outfit that builds and delivers sheds...they will be able to tell you what the rules are in your area.

Terry in TN

Back
Top Bottom