Chicken coop space calculator

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iheartrunners, Mar 16, 2017.

1. iheartrunners

iheartrunners Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2016
    Eastern Ontario (Canada)
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Nothing towards you iheartrunner but I totally disagree ----totally! If this is for a building that chickens stayed in all the time, eat, drink, lay, sleep---maybe so---but a Coop only, No food and water inside---just a place to roost----No way and that should be made clear. This causes people to build a huge coop for No reason---when its just a coop. I got a 56 sq ft coop---according to this I should only house 14 max chickens----14 chickens would sleep on just the top roost pole leaving 5 more completely empty----I have had close 100 housed in this one coop with no problems and the bottom roost pole was not being used. Plenty of extra room for just a roosting coop---food, water and nesting boxes outside.

3. iheartrunners

iheartrunners Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2016
    Eastern Ontario (Canada)
    No offense taken :) To each their own. I agree, if it's just for roosting then small is fine. I have a few 8x7 foot coops for my birds and I can't imagine having a hundred bird in there! haha! but then I don't have huge runs, and mine tend to spend a fair amount of time indoors in the winter as we get A LOT of snow here.

1 person likes this.
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Mine have the step roost and they go in close dark, come out at the break of day. And if I only had 14 in there---everyone would be on the top roost pole with room for a few more. I have many coops and I try to keep this size coop less than 50, but have had close a 100 at times---not during the hot summer though.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by