Chicken Coop to House Chickens Permanently

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dbg99, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dbg99

dbg99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Anyone out there in BYC land have any ideas/plans, etc on chicken coops for an urban setting which will house chickens permanently without having to move the coop at all or let chickens out of the coop? Would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I have a roughly 4' x 2.5' open air coop with an externally attached 3' x 2' community rollaway nest box (nest box does not take room away from coop). This coop and nest box is connected via the coop's side to a 4' x 8' run which is assessible to them always, because the run is predator proof just like the coop and nest box are. It is large enough for 3 - 4 Lg. Fowl 24/7/365.

I try to rotate in platters of grass and keep their sand box full. When they must be confined because I do free range mine, but I believe they would do okay even if they never got out. But keep in mind some birds tolerate cativity much better than other breeds so chose wisely.

Sorry but do not have means to show picture.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:If you go to the "coop design" pages (link at very, very top of this webpage, towards the middle of the row) and look at the "small coop" designs, most of them are probably exactly what you're looking for [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    You would definitely need good ventilation and easy access for cleaning. Consider a southern facing wall as a panel that can be removed and replaced with a mesh panel. I think I would also consider shuttered mesh windows on the sides that can be opened for lots of air flow. You could build in planters for improved inside air quality and to give the birds some greenery to play with. Exterior or detachable nest boxes (perhaps something that can make use of one of the side windows) can give your girls more floor space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by