Chicken coop transfer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snoopysflock, Mar 17, 2015.

1. snoopysflock

snoopysflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Northern north carolina
    I have 2 birds that live at my barn coop and I modified the barn coop into a baby pig barn so the chickens need to go to the house coop. I have tried moving the birds to the house coop at night but the next day they wander back to the barn. When I tried shutting the barn coop off they roosted on top if the coop. I was wondering if there was a solution to this problem, to reset their brains.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Persistence is the only solution I've found...and blocking off access to the old place.

It usually takes about a week for the new environment to sink in. I moved the gate from one side of the run to the other, and it befuddled them for about a week. I did another change another time, and again about a week.

Until then be prepared to heard/move/pluck from odd places until somebody gets it into their bird brain...then the rest usually follow.

My experiences.
    LofMc

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Might try locking them in the house coop for a few days.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Three seems to be minimum for me. First day of release, do it late in day so birds do not have time to wander far from house coop before needing to return to roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by