Chicken Coop underneath kids cubby house??????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kpborkowski, Jul 6, 2008.

1. kpborkowski

kpborkowski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Chelsea (Vic), Australia
    We are new to the chicken scene and loving it. We currently have 2 RIRs 1 silkie and 1 pekin. The girls live in a small chicken tractor at night at the moment and free range during the day, however, we would love to build them a bigger and better home with proper nesting boxes (can't wait for that first egg....)

My husband has almost finished the kids cubby house which is elevated 1200mm and to save money we had an idea to build the girls a new home underneath.

What are your thoughts on this is it a good/bad idea????????

We live in Melbourne Australia so the weather here is pretty mild, no snow, not too hot.

[​IMG]

Our ladies, Love and Angel!! the RIRs (my 4 year old named them), Daisy the silkie and Rosie the pekin bantam

[​IMG]

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Sure sounds ideal to me since you only have 3 head . You will continue to let them free range ? To me that area under the kids play house would be idea for a closed in run area . OR close that area in for the chicken house and extend area on side for a protected run area . Sorry , but I don't trust mine free ranging at all , whether it be 3 or 30 , to many predators can attack your babies .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by