Chicken Coop

ThomasR

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
I want to get Chickens, but my neighborhood and town wont let me. I want 3 Old English Game Bantams hen by the way. Is there any possibility where the OEGB's could live in a rabbit cage that is like 3'x4'x2' and 2 stories so 4 square feet per bird. I would leave them in until i come home like at 3:30 pm. Now my questions are 1. would that be enough space 2. would they be loud 3.would people know that they are chickens or would they think that they are just rabbits

Last edited:
In answer to at least one of your questions, yes, your neighbours will like know they are chickens; chickens cluck while rabbits do not. Chickens also like have feathers.
wink.png

Last edited:
1. That's plenty of space for OEGBs - they're very tiny and 4' per bird is proper for standard hens, so that's great for bantams. OEGB are GREAT flyers, so if you let them out to free range, they can fly away very easily. Most likely they'd come back at night, but in an urban setting they'd be at risk of being seen or attacked by neighbor's dogs/cats. I'd keep them penned in a secure run, if you can.

2. Hens aren't that loud, but some will make loud clucking noises when they lay an egg - we call it the "egg song" and it can get pretty loud. Not all hens do it.

3. OEGB can't possibly be mistaken for a rabbit if someone got close to the rabbit hutch. However, I do think they resemble pidgeons/doves/quail enough that you could convince someone who is not familiar with chickens that they are actually pidgeons/doves/quail. If you really want to confuse people, consider getting a few Silkie hens - someone might actually think they're rabbits.
lol.png

Welcome to the forum! We'll try to help you every step of the way.

The cage would be a little small for them. I would check with the neighborhood and see what it states in the rules. If you already have, all I can say is keep them until someone complains about it. But I would build a larger coop. They do make noise but not alot. It depends on your neighbor's and how nosey they are

4sq ft per bird is enough for OEGB, IMO, but hens still make chicken noises, regardless of size or gender.

If you decide to go ahead, you should also be ready to get rid of them if the city finds out and issues you a citation. Only you can judge whether or not the local law will actually be enforced.

Back
Top Bottom