Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChikkaDee, May 14, 2011.

1. ChikkaDee

ChikkaDee New Egg

May 12, 2011
    East TN
    I am very new to the chicken world.....in fact, a friend is giving me 5 ....3 hens and 2 roosters Delawares and Welsummers....My question is to get the chicks my Hubby has to build a coop...We areplanning on getting at least 10-11 more hens.....so do we build small for the 5 and then add on or build a bigger one anticipating more hens.....any information ius so appreciated.....I am so very excited and a litte nervous...Oh and one more thing bears, coyotes, raccoons, snakes etc etc....We do have them here and I was wondering how do you keep one from destroying your pen? any ideas...?????

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Always build bigger!

Usually hardware cloth for windows and the run will keep out predators. You will want to either sink it down into the ground or make an apron of it to discourage digging predators. Make sure your fasteners on the outside doors are too difficult to open by dexterous little raccoon hands. And I know NOTHING about protecting from bears!

3. Trapper Dan

Trapper Dan Out Of The Brooder

I've had bears into my coop on several occasions and this year I'm using electric poultry netting around it all as well so I'll keep you posted on the results. The netting came from Premier Fencing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by