Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by activia, Apr 18, 2012.

1. activia

activia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2012
    OK so its almost time to take my chickens home! Someone build me a nice coop, I requested 12 sq ft but for some reason it ended up being 10sq feet with 4 nest boxes. I'm going to have 6 chickens (3 americana's and 3 RIR's) Is it unreasonable to house them in 10sq ft? They will have a run during the day and free range when I'm home on the weekends (although I have a large fenced in yard they will never be outside of).

2. activia

Feb 1, 2012
    anyone??

3. activia

Feb 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

10 SQUARE feet? As in like 2' x 5' or similar?

6 hens in only 10 square feet are going to be really crowded for floor space, especially once you add the feeder/waterer. I personally would only put two, maybe three hens in that amount of space. If you live in a mild climate where they will be inside very little that will help. If you have any kind of weather at all where they are going to want to get inside then I'd look into making more space for them. Maybe a covered run?

I always tend to go overboard on space for chickens just to try to avoid pecking problems and bullying.

5. activia

Feb 1, 2012
    It's 36"x 42". I live in Easter Mass, so winters can be harsh. I wasn't planning on a covered run but I might be able to provide it, especially for the winter months. That's a bummer. I specifically asked for a 4X3 and he build it SMALLER then that.. as I was thinking 2ft per hen was the recommended size. Grr now I need it in 2 weeks.

6. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I'm no expert, but I think that's to small as well, even tho it's a lovely coop! Maybe the person who built it can add on to it? My inside space for 8 chickens is going to be 4 x 12..

7. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    yes 10 sq ft for 6 chicks is WAY too small 6 chickens need at LEAST 12 sq ft and that is ONLY if they are let outside during the day and if they are going to be in the coop 24/7 they need at least 24 sq ft.

8. activia

Feb 1, 2012
  9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

10. activia

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks, any problems with #1? #1 is larger and is almost half the price. They want $600 for #2!!! 4X4.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by