Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eagle227, Jul 27, 2014.

1. eagle227

eagle227 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a 12 x 16 mini barn with a plywood floor that I am going to use as a coop. Should I use sand or pine chips to put on the floor? I have 15 Buff Orphington and 10 New Hampshire Red hens. I am very new at this and have many question.I would like to have something low maintenance.

2. I'll give you an opinion. Mine of course.

If your flooring is plywood I would use pine shavings. Sand tends to find its way everywhere in a wood structure.

I have used both sand and chips. Sand is really good at drying out the poo and clean up is as easy as raking. Great for outdoors IMO. Sand is a bit dusty. Pine relatively cheap and great for a compost. Both are good but because you have a wood subfloor I would use chips.

Hopefully you can gather some more info to make a good decision for your situation.

Wish ya the best.

3. Welcome to BYC.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Flock Master

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]
    I have a wood floor converted shed that I put linoleum down on and then shavings on top of that. SUPER easy to clean. I am building a new larger coop and will do the same since it is working so well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by