Chicken Coops are great rat hunting!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by southerndesert, Jun 25, 2011.

1. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    At least this Western Diamondback thinks so... In the bucket and ready to get relocated to and area he will be less of a bother. The chickens don't get too excited and just watch the snake, somehow they just know to stay away and this snake never even buzzed while being caught. They do not bother the eggs either, but if you have a naked tail and fur watch out!

I know I don't seem too excited, but this is after all in Arizona and we get several in the yard a year and it is something you just get used to. Why not just kill it? Why? I am the one in their yard out here in rural AZ [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    OMG!!! Scary. [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's all good till one is curled up under a hen staying warm and you're out collecting eggs

4. southerndesert

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Wonder if something like that has ever happened? That would be a nasty surprise, but getting the chicken to sit a snake would likely be the most difficult...[​IMG]

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wonder if something like that has ever happened? That would be a nasty surprise, but getting the chicken to sit a snake would likely be the most difficult...[​IMG]

Oh yes it happens a lot in your part of the world and the full coffee cups flew no doubt! [​IMG] I'm so glad we don't have snakes here, a guy can only wear so much snake skin. (coat, boots, belt, hatband, etc) But a set of snakeskin riding leathers would be cool......Hmmmm. I might have to post to buy snakes skins [​IMG]

6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011

Oh yes it happens a lot in your part of the world and the full coffee cups flew no doubt! [​IMG] I'm so glad we don't have snakes here, a guy can only wear so much snake skin. (coat, boots, belt, hatband, etc) But a set of snakeskin riding leathers would be cool......Hmmmm. I might have to post to buy snakes skins [​IMG]

Do you seriously live in the North Pole? Like North Pole Alaska??? I would think you would still get snakes there, for the summer but i suppose it is too cold in Winter.

8. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

And does the bucket have a LID? You don't seriously carry the bucket by the handle, above the snake, do you? Those things have some reach! -Wendy

9. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Eggszackly, you moved in their territorry and all of a sudden it is a problem. I love how you handled thge problen. Good on you.

10. southerndesert

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Hi Wendy,

yes I used a lid to transport the snake a few miles into the desert on my quad, just took the lid off for the photo. Rattlesnakes are not to be underestimated...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by