Chicken Coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by new keeper, Apr 6, 2009.

1. new keeper

new keeper New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Hi

I'm new to keeping chickens and recently bought this great guide online, and it shows you how to create and build your own chicken coop with so many interesting design choices and options.

Thought it might be beneficial to anyone looking to build their own rather than pay £100s for manufacutered ones.

Is link posting allowed here?

Also in your opinions how big should a coop be for 2-3 chickens - the online guide I bought has given great ideas in terms of how much space to give them - just thought I'd check with the pros!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We are always up for helpful links.

3 standard sized hens should have about 15 square feet of space and a nesting box they all can use and 36 inches of roost.

Oh, AND WELCOME to BYC!!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, nice to meet you! Don't build a small coop for just a couple, we can garentee that by this time next year, you will have 2 or 3 plus...we are a bad, bad influence!

4. new keeper

new keeper New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Ok great. That sounds about right - I built mine a bit bigger than what you suggested - so I should be just fine!

Like I said in my last post I really recommend the guide that I bought to other people. It's got great ideas in terms of design and how to build your own coop rather than buy one.

Is it ok to post the link in this forum or is that not allowed?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Links are allowed. Many of us welcome them.

6. new keeper

new keeper New Egg

Apr 6, 2009
    Ok great.

Well here's the link to the guide I purchased.

Has lots of different designs and ideas to build your own coop.

http://tinyurl.com/1chickencoop

I'm sure it'll save you lots of money as well as give you great design ideas - only cost my $29.95 which was great considering I was abou to spend $375 on a new coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by