Chicken Corridor

theendisnigh

Hatching
Jan 9, 2021
I have a secure chicken run and coop, And I also let them into my raised beds and greenhouses.
However, I don't want to free-range them 100%. I'd like to control where they can go- so they don't poop on my pathways, deck, etc.
I'd like to know if anyone has made or bought a collapsable corridor that I can run from my coop to the designated bed?
I will of course temporarily fence the bed I need 'chicken tillered'. Then move the corridor to the next bed. I have made a small run from fencing into my big greenhouse, which is currently being prepped by the chickens. But I have raised beds and greenhouses further away I'd like them to 'do their thing in'.

Look for plastic "Safety fencing" or "Temporary fencing". 4 feet high x 100 feet long for $40 or so. Depending on how long your corridor is you could string it along a few T-posts stuck not-too-deep into the ground, or maybe hang it from 2 parallel runs of clothesline and stake the bottom down in a few places. It might take the birds a while to figure it out if it's not a short run but they'll get it after a while, especially if you herd them or bribe them at first.

Do a Google search on "chicken tunnel". I got a lot of hits with that.

I've seen several threads on this forum about tunnels but don't remember any recent ones. My tunnel is only a couple of feet long and elevated, going from the run to my Grow-Out coop, not exactly what you want. I suggest 18" high as a minimum, my rooster has to sort of squat to use my 12" high one.

Hopefully you will get some good how-to info if you do a search. If I were doing it I'd consider two methods. Either get wire fencing maybe 5' to 6' wide and and bend it in a hoop, fastening the ends to the ground. Sort of the hoop coop idea. Or bend it with 90 degree angles to form sort of an open box with the open side down. Those 90 degree bends are permanent. With the hoop idea it may be easier to store the wire if this is seasonal. You could straighten it back out flat for storage.

My biggest concern would be predators. It may be challenging to stake it down so a dog or coyote can't get inside and still leave it mobile enough to rearrange. Maybe edge the bottom with 2x4's and attach the ends of the wire to them.

Something else to consider. There is a fair chance they will not keep the weeds eaten down in a tunnel. You may have to move it and mow in there if you leave it there for a while in growing season. I keep mt chickens inside a large area with electric netting. They eat the good stuff and let the bad stuff go. I have to mow in there a few times a year. But of course that is just the growing season.

Thanks- I've got some free synthetic deer fence and some 4mm wire. I think I could make a semi-circle and suspend them on a clothesline, then throw the deer fence over the top.
Then I can simply break down the parts and direct the ladies to a different zone as and when I need it.

Back
Top Bottom