Chicken cote (update in post#12 of thread).

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by welsummer4, Nov 28, 2010.

1. welsummer4

welsummer4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    I Googled "chicken cote" but the search results were pretty useless. Can anyone who's built one post pics, or post links to sites with good info about cotes?
    Thanks,
    A.R.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't even know what a chicken cote is....help?

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    In Resolution's threat getting ready for winter has some info and some wonderful ideas

4. welsummer4

welsummer4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! I posted this question there.

5. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    do you mean "coat" or seeing how i am new to chickens can you describe what a chicken cote is?

6. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    If you search YouTube there is a 7-minute vedeo tour of one and a few other vedeos.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think it's just different terminology for a "chicken coop" or a "hen house." Usually you read or hear about dove or pigeon cotes; that's just what they typically call housing for these birds.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:That ladder is way too steep for a chicken to use! And the coop itself seems more appropriate for a dove or pigeon than a chicken.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've never ever heard "cote" used for anything but pigeons and doves. I think this is just sales-pitch labelling.

The Forsham item from the link is just *preposterous* IMHO, for anything other than conversation-piece housing for maybe 2-4 hens in an always-mild climate. Very silly. North Americans should note that Britain lacks raccoons or possums, and while in principle it is probably possible to build a coop on posts with enough overhang to defeat those climbers, the relatively small amount of overhang in the Forsham one would be pretty risky IMHO in North America.

If a person wants a dovecote-shaped chicken coop, just for purty, then my suggestion is to look at pictures/plans for actual garden-type *dovecotes* of sufficient picturesqueness and just rejigger the inside and opening sizes for chickens.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by