Chicken coughing after rain storm

doublebow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
It has basically been raining for three days straight and now one of my pullets has what sounds like a cough, or maybe she is just hoarse and congested. I don't know much about what to watch for and when to intervene. I have had chickens for several years but never had one get sick.

Can anyone tell me how to treat my congested chicken? She is still "coughing" but otherwise seems well.

Any symptoms such as closed or half closed eyes or nasal discharge? If the answer is yes then she probably has a respiratory infection. Some BYCers don't treat but I treat with water soluble Tylan. If you can't find it at your feedstore you can order it at firststatevetsupply.com

The dosage would be 1/2 teaspoon powder per 1/2gallon water. Make new solution everyday for 7 days. Make sure this is the only water the chickens have to drink so they have to drink the medicated water.

Tylan is a funny powder. You have to add the water to the Tylan. I put the Tylan in a DRY jug and then add the water and cap and shake well.

She has no other symptoms other than periodically making an odd little honk/cough sound and when she does that you can hear congestion rattling. But when I am holding her or she is running around, I can't hear the rattly sound.

Back
Top Bottom