1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken coughing? How to treat it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marshmallowpeeps, Apr 2, 2009.

1. marshmallowpeeps

marshmallowpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Hi
    I have just been given several adult laying hens, and these are my first experience with chickens. We noticed that one of them has been coughing, or at least it seems like that's what she's doing. Since we're so new at this, I don't really know what to look for as far as problems are concerned. The guy at the feed store says to give them antibiotics in their water for a week, and of course not eat the eggs at that time.

Here's my questions: Is it possible to treat the chicken(s) in a more natural way, without antibiotics? And also, if we did have to use the antibiotics on the coughing one, should we also medicate them all as a precaution?

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Tbs. of Apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water. Use a plastic one. Add a couple cloves of garlic. Best rememdy I know. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by