Chicken couldn't poop? Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HalpMeh, Apr 4, 2017.

1. HalpMeh

HalpMeh Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    Somewhere Southern
    I just bought some chickens from tractor supply, and they were spry but one of them was slightly sluggish. (DAY 2)When I was hand feeding them I noticed the sluggish baby's butt had something on it. I looked at it and it was poop all on his butt. It was very hard (I mean it was pulling on his butt feathers whenever I touched it) and it didn't really allow the chicken to poop correctly. I tried to rub it off with a warm (damp not drenched) towel, trying to see if I could loosen it. He couldn't poop very well, and I was really worried. I had to cut it away because there was NO WAY to get it off. I didn't want the chicken to die of constipation or suffer anymore. I bought them some electrolyte and probiotic to go into their water so they could be healthier. I am just worried that I did something wrong. Can someone give me some pointers on how to prevent this. Did i do the right thing?

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Do you give your chicks grit? Not giving them grit can cause this. Just keep wiping them with a damp towel every few hours.

3. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I hope it helps! it did with our chicks!

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Too Many Chickens Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Yes, you did.

Pasty butt is also often caused by high brooder temps. What is their heat source, and do they have an area to get away from it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by