Chicken CPR.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by macdoogle2, Mar 3, 2012.

1. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    This morning I went to feed my chickens as usual. I filled their feeders and then threw some BOSS on the ground. One of the hens, an 8 month old Wellsummer started making a wheezing, hacking sound. She started to stumble and then collapsed, neck limp and eyes closed. I thought she had died. She looked dead. I scooped her up and started massaging her neck and blowing in her face. After what seemed like minutes but was probably only seconds she came too. I put her down and she walked over to the food and started eating, like nothing had happened. Now I'm freaked out. I know that if I had not witnessed the event she would have died. Has anyone had this happen? Did she choke on BOSS? Or maybe in her hurry to eat the seeds she choked on a piece of bark. Any thoughts?

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Can't offer you advise but wow, lucky you was out there and saved her. Well done [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She could have choked or she could have had a seizure. Thankfully you were there to help out. I would be keeping a close eye on her for a while, though, to make sure there isn't a repeat episode.

Good luck.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That sounds like what a pullet did in front of me last year. She fainted. I think she got startled, and just passed out. OMG I thought she died. But she came to a few minutes later. Never did it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by