Chicken craft...if you saw it at a craft fair...

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mrsengeseth, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

what would you expect these to be priced at? It's a McCall's pattern.

[​IMG]

just looking for opinions, ideas...

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You would need permission from McCalls to make and sell those.

No clue how much.

3. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute!

Yes, there are copyrights covering that pattern and as such you shouldn't make it to sell. I wouldn't worry about the McCalls police coming to bust you - and if they do - just stop making them.

Most designers know that people are going to make things using their patterns. As long as it is not abused, it is ignored. Many are happy as long as you give credit where it is due and don't mass produce. In other words, put on a tag that states it was made from a McCalls pattern. Better yet - if the pattern is still available, give the number and if they complain, you can point out that you not only gave them full credit but free advertisement.

The best way to get around this is that now you have put together a set, use it to create your own, similar set. Don't use the pattern. Figure out a way to change it at least 10% and say the end result was "inspired" by a McCalls pattern.

According to McCalls, you are allowed to make something to sell as long as it is for a specific person and you buy a new pattern each time you make it. Otherwise, they are for home use only - which means you can make as many as you want for yourself and to give as gifts. So, how about you 'give away' the chicken family but charge for the box you pack it in?

Now for how much??? That depends on your area.

Figure out the cost of materials and the time involved to make it. Pay yourself minimum wage if you can.

4. mrsengeseth

Quote:wow, thanks for your reply! [​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    You could get $25 easy for that here at a farmer's market.
    It's adorable. Good job!

6. mrsengeseth

Quote:thanks! [​IMG]

my next question was going to be where these would sell.

7. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now? Look to see if there area any craft shows in your area that might still be open but expect to pay a price. You can also post a picture at laundramats etc.

OR you can start planning for future. Make them over the winter to sell for Easter and watch for Spring shows - or farmers markets. Whichever - expand what you offer. You could base your booth on chickens and offer 'everything chicken'.

You'll be most successful if you take your time and plan ahead. Go to some of the holiday shows and talk to other fabric artists. You might find that it wouldn't be worth it to make them to sell - or you might find that you are sitting on a new market.

Isn't there a section on this site for people to sell what they make?

Good luck! Mary Ann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by