Chicken Crazy in the Great White North!

Chickens R Us

Songster
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Hello! My name is Ginger and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. After several years of talking about getting chickens, I finally talked the DH into letting me take the plunge and so we picked up our first dozen from our local Tractor Supply. I didn't think that all of them would survive but they did! I got three Red Sex Links, two Buff Orpingtons, and seven Barred Rocks. I was also under the impression that all of them were females but several months later I learned that I had three roos on my hands. I had thought about keeping them but after two of them attacked me I decided that they would taste really good. And now I only have one Buff Orpington roo who takes good care of his nine lucky ladies. My chickens are now 39 weeks old and to this day they have laid 852 eggs! I originally only planned on having 6 laying hens but after I learned the joys of having chickens and the demand for farm fresh eggs among my co workers, I decided that I could reasonably expand the number of hens I have. AKA. Chicken Math set in. The DH also enjoys the chicken enough that he has decided that I can try raising some meat chickens this spring! So this spring I will go from my original plan of six chickens to, having 10 chickens with plans of getting 25-30 more this spring. Yikes what happened?!?!?!

I will be looking for several breeds of chickens this spring:
~Barred Rocks
~Cornish X
~Leghorns- for my daughter
~Wyandottes
~Austrolorps
~Speckled Sussex
~ ONE! Cochin for future brooding plans
~ Sex Links
~ Rhode Island Reds- maybe

I finally decided to make my own profile after learning so much about chickens from this site, some of the projects I have undertaken include:

~ coop building
~ poop decks
~ nest boxes
~ made a chicken tractor
~ cookie tin water heater
~ chicken saddles
~ future plans to experiment with fermented feed
~ basically this site has taught me everything about how to raise chickens!!!!!

Thank you to the amazing community of chicken lovers for sharing their knowledge, you have helped me soooo much!
Feel free to share any more advise on good chicken breeds! For COLD weather!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Howdy, Ginger, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our group of chicken obsessed folks! Also glad you found BYC to be so helpful. It is indeed a treasure trove of poultry knowledge. Good luck to you and Happy new Year!

Back
Top Bottom