Chicken Crazy in the Great White North!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickens R Us, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello! My name is Ginger and I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. After several years of talking about getting chickens, I finally talked the DH into letting me take the plunge and so we picked up our first dozen from our local Tractor Supply. I didn't think that all of them would survive but they did! I got three Red Sex Links, two Buff Orpingtons, and seven Barred Rocks. I was also under the impression that all of them were females but several months later I learned that I had three roos on my hands. I had thought about keeping them but after two of them attacked me I decided that they would taste really good. And now I only have one Buff Orpington roo who takes good care of his nine lucky ladies. My chickens are now 39 weeks old and to this day they have laid 852 eggs! I originally only planned on having 6 laying hens but after I learned the joys of having chickens and the demand for farm fresh eggs among my co workers, I decided that I could reasonably expand the number of hens I have. AKA. Chicken Math set in. The DH also enjoys the chicken enough that he has decided that I can try raising some meat chickens this spring! So this spring I will go from my original plan of six chickens to, having 10 chickens with plans of getting 25-30 more this spring. Yikes what happened?!?!?!

I will be looking for several breeds of chickens this spring:
    ~Barred Rocks
    ~Cornish X
    ~Leghorns- for my daughter
    ~Wyandottes
    ~Austrolorps
    ~Speckled Sussex
    ~ ONE! Cochin for future brooding plans
    ~ Sex Links
    ~ Rhode Island Reds- maybe

I finally decided to make my own profile after learning so much about chickens from this site, some of the projects I have undertaken include:

~ coop building
    ~ poop decks
    ~ nest boxes
    ~ made a chicken tractor
    ~ cookie tin water heater
    ~ chicken saddles
    ~ future plans to experiment with fermented feed
    ~ basically this site has taught me everything about how to raise chickens!!!!!

Thank you to the amazing community of chicken lovers for sharing their knowledge, you have helped me soooo much!
    Feel free to share any more advise on good chicken breeds! For COLD weather!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ginger, welcome to BYC. Enjoy your flock. Sounds as if you have things well planned out.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy, Ginger, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our group of chicken obsessed folks! Also glad you found BYC to be so helpful. It is indeed a treasure trove of poultry knowledge. Good luck to you and Happy new Year!

7. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey welcome to BYC! Love the photos!!!

8. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    Hello, welcome to BYC. [​IMG] You are so organized! Glad you joined us. Sue

9. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Greetings, Ginger! Welcome to our little community of crazy chicken people.

[​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by