Chicken crop quite full.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by albert7777, Jan 15, 2014.

1. albert7777

albert7777 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Australia
    My family when I was away on a day trip decided to feed the four chickens some cooked corn without adding any chicken grit. They apparently ate all of the corn (about 50g).
    All of their crops now feel quite full and I can definitely feel the outline of the corn. It has been about 7 hours since they were fed the corn and the crop still feels the same size.

The crop doesn’t seem to protrude obviously like sour crop but I’m worried about how I can feel the corn quite prominently. They do not seem to be lethargic but are not eating that much.

I’d like to know whether they might have an impacted crop or whether I’m simply being too cautious and should wait until tomorrow to see.

PS.
    My hardware store no longer sells play sand or crushed granite (it is closing down) - what else can I use for chicken grit? They are not laying age so I cannot use oyster shells.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hopefully, the crop will empty out overnight. I don't believe oyster shells will work as chicken grit; too soft, and it gets ground up and absorbed as calcium. (I have seen it advertised as grit but I don't believe it. JMO.) You might have to order the grit online. Jeffers Livestock is just one established, dependable company. Heck, you can probably get it from Amazon.I'd give them a day or two before I got excited about it. I keep some available but mine almost never eat it; apparently they get enough sand from the soil.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. albert7777

Dec 2, 2013
    Australia
    Mmk they have fallen asleep, their crops have a bit of fluid but I can still feel the corn. They are a bit lethargic - not eating or drinking a lot- but I got some grit and they happily took some. Hoping I’m just paranoid.

4. katbriar

katbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico
    I don't know what ants do in Australia, but in New Mexico we have red ants that make large above-ground mounds of small pebbles as they excavate. They're just the right size for grit.

I just take a feed scoop and scrape off some and put them in a container in the coop. (And save some money!)

eta- are you worried that they didn't get grit right then with the corn? they don't have to eat grit with each food item. If they've had access to grit their gizzards will store it up to use to grind up the food and the birds replace it every now and then.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. albert7777

Dec 2, 2013
    Australia
    Well the neighbours have finished their construction so I have access to free construction grit. Their crops are absolutely fine. Just being paranoid.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Well, that's good news! Thanks for letting us know.

Let's call it "concerned" rather than "paranoid," shall we? LOL!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    HA! You use those red ant hill stones too? I thought I was the only one that did that! [​IMG] They do make perfect gizzard sized stones. My chickens have plenty of access to natural grit and stones, but my quail that I keep in aviaries don't. So I collect these stones in a small container and sprinkle them around when needed. [​IMG]

Oh, and great to see another New Mexican on board! [​IMG]

8. katbriar

katbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico
    Thanks Two Crows. Those mounds make it just so easy. They only thing better the ants could do would be put it in a bag for me.

I'm outside Taos, you?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    LOL...I am in Alto in Lincoln County. About 15 miles north of Ruidoso.

I have never been to Taos....one of these days we will get there!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by