chicken crossing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peacockfarmer1, Dec 24, 2010.

1. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    mixing buff rooster on black giant hen what would u get??
    mixing buff rooster on barred rock hen what would u get??
    pics would help

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Buff x Black makes a 50/50 of chocolate/brown coloring smudged, pencilled, and mottled over gold, and black coloring smudged, pencilled, and mottled over gold. The birds will have pearly white legs and typical bodies.

Buff x Barred hen makes sex linked offspring. Males will be barred, though a 50/50 of chocolate/brown barring and normal barring, while females will be the same as a Buff x Black. The body and leg color will be the same - pearly white legs, typical bodies.

3. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    How do you know that?

Is there a genetic calculator somewhere or is this written down for various things? I'm curious about a few crosses myself.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I know what you are trying to describe but if I didnt I would be very confused by that description. I wouldnt use the words Chocolate, Penciled, and Mottled in the description becuase those are all very different genes than what the birds would have and using those terms could confuse someone who doesnt know how the genetics work.

Look here in the Sexlink thread for the pics of mine from the Buff roo on the BR hens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375015 The ones from the Buff X Black cross would look like those sexlink pullets in both sexes or if the Black Giants are Silver gened, then the male offspring should have more silvery leakage instead of the the all gold leakage.

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Buffs do not have a chocolate/dun factor most of the time.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:most of the time perhaps, but I've seen plenty Orpingtons throw their 50/50 of dun/chocolate to the outcrossing offspring, so I'm just adding in from my experience. [​IMG]

Yes, if you search up "Chicken Calculator" on google you'll find a very useful one, however it will not display things like what I described. Often when you cross two colors, the calculator will tell you that you created a solid color, when in reality it will show up having one color (often black) and another "leaking" through, often making the bird look mottled, smudged, etc.

7. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    The calculator works as it should as long as you know the genetics of your bird. If there is anything hidden in your supposed "pure" bird then the calculator is useless.

8. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Not useless, but optimistic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by