1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amanda1, Oct 19, 2015.

1. amanda1

amanda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2015
    We have one rooster (silkie) and 5 hens (silkie, astralorp, barred rock).This morning I heard two different crows. When I went into the coop to observe, our silkie hen was crowing along with the rooster! Has anyone else experienced this??

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It does happen, occasionally, but its more likely that the Silkie hen could also be a rooster (they're notoriously hard to sex). Has she been laying eggs? Can you share some pictures?

3. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    I have a three year old sussex hen who has been trying to crow (actually it sounds like someone shouting "OW OW OW!!") even though I have two roosters. I locked her in a separate pen with both roos and that cured her! LOL!

4. amanda1

Aug 5, 2015
    The white one is our rooster and the grey one the crowing female. They are both 5 months old although these photos were taken a few weeks ago. We are still waiting for eggs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    The grey one has a pretty big comb. I think it's a roo.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sorry, but they are both cockerels. Not only do the both have large, red combs and wattles, they also both have streamers coming off the back of their crests (little feathers that stick out) and only male Silkies get those.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  7. amanda1

Aug 5, 2015
    Really? They both appear to be so different to us. The white one has always been elusive, has more of a "rooster tail" and has a much redder comb. The white one has also been showing his "display" to the girls and chasing them and grabbing their necks. The gray one acts more like the others. Are their any other indicators?

8. Naliez

Naliez Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2015
    Other than the crowing, streamers and big red comb, there's not a whole lot else to look for. He might be a lower ranking roo, but still a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by