Chicken dead, eyes gone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BPM83, Dec 30, 2016.

1. BPM83

BPM83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Peculiar, MO
    Earlier today I found one of my chickens dead. Her head was bloody and her eyes were gone. It looked like maybe she had been pecked to death. She wasn't new or injured. I've had injured birds before and none of the others bothered them. I've also had birds get into spats but nothing like this. Are there any predators that would do this (especially in daytime) or should I be concerned it's another chicken? I have a picture but wasn't sure if I should post it since it is very graphic. I also have a few turkeys and guineas. Has anyone ever heard of them pecking another bird that death?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You chicken was probably killed by a hawk. That's what they typically do - eat the eyes and attempt to penetrate into the head for the brains. They usually leave the rest intact.

This is the time of year in North America when hawks migrate. There is greater danger to free ranging chickens during this period.

1 person likes this.
  3. BPM83

BPM83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Peculiar, MO
    Thank you for the info. I've definitely seen hawks around. It makes me feel better to think it was a hawk than another chicken!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It could have been a hawk, or the hen may have died from another cause (heart attack, stroke, internal deformity, etc.) and been cannibalized by the other chickens. Since chickens are omnivores, they have an unfortunate habit of attacking (and eating) dead or dying things.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by