Chicken DEAD in the coop. Any guesses?

InLuvWLife

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
I have 12 (well now 11) hens in a large coop filled with straw, sprinkled with DE. They have a very large run made with electric poultry netting which I move regularly so that they can free range. I have a variety of chickens. Today i found one of my white Jersey Giants dead. No sign of injury or illness. Just laying on her side dead in the coop. Cold and stiff, it may have happened yesterday. She was about 1 1/2 yrs old. A large, gentle chicken. I live in Martinsburg, WV. It was very hot here this weekend but they have plenty of water. Any ideas before I lose more??
hmm.png

she may have been stressed out with the high temps. if you ever see them panting heavily or drooping wings that is usually a sign. do you ever put the vitamins and electrolytes in their water on hot days? it usually helps to keep them hydrated better than just plain water. i also tend to put water melons out for my chickens since it is a cooling food as well as a way to help hydrate.

did you also happen to feel around the bird's keel bone to check for possible weight loss?

Yeah overheating was my best guess, but last summer they did just fine. Do i get the supplements at the feed store? Also, can lice kill a chicken that looks completely healthy otherwise? I saw no clumpy feathers on her butt, no signs of lice...

No I did not really check for weight loss. I have noticed they are not eating as much but I had attributed that to the large free range zone with so much new growth...

Back
Top Bottom