chicken dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daveyblevins, Mar 5, 2013.

1. daveyblevins

daveyblevins Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    I need help on of my hens was layen in the nesting box dead this mornen and idk why she died she was a really healthy hen [​IMG] can anybody help me?

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    If you are worried for the rest of the flock, clean clean clean or move them if you can until you disinfect.

Nobody will really be able to tell you why she died, especially since she showed no signs of illness. I saw some people say their state ag will arrange a necropsy for free, so you could check that with your state.

You could check some things yourself: was she backed up in her ductwork? Eggbound? Was her crop full and clogged? If you cut her open you can see if she had liver, kidney, or heart problems. Other than that, you know, just visible things, a necropsy will be the only way to know if it was an infectious thing...

Sorry for your sad day...:(

3. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    Thanks am i have been doing some reserch and im getten some things to give them and im going to worm them and give them more protine and some meds and see how they do after that and im going to clean out the coop and put new beding in with some dust so ill see how they do and i hope they do better.

4. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Hard to pick a med when there are no symptoms. And if you are raising them for meat or eggs, it will affect if you can use them.

Hope your flock stays healthy!

5. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    yea im getten the eggs out of them but im just going to worm them and treat them for lice and mits and clean the coop out good

6. Kikiriki

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Good luck! Let me know how things go for you, okay?

7. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    i will im going to go buy me some omega egg maker, poultry protector, scaly leg protector, calf manna or poultry conditioner, poultry dust, 4 bags of wood shavings, scratch corn, and layer crumbles so ima have a busy day tomarrow and its sopost to snow about 6 to 12 inchs here tonight and tomarrow so ima be busy but ill let you know how things go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by